Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Dearly Beloved

A song of mourning, meant for singing, drinking, dancing. Or is it really? Isn't it more of a peaceful song, a lullaby for a baby, a sweet thing like a light ice cream?

I wonder.

That brings me to my next idea. Do most people listen to music while they write? I do, I love it. I tend to use instrumentals when I'm actually writing and vocal pieces are better for when I'm editing. They each let the words flow out differently. Though sometimes it can't be helped when your iPod is on shuffle and certain things just happen.

I find instrumentals good for drafting a piece because they tend to be less distracting from what's already trying to be said. I'd rather just let the writing speak for itself. Vocal pieces influence how I'm typing (and sometimes WHAT I am typing) which is rather inconvenient.

Vocal pieces are good for editing, at least to me, because they influence it. They help to think of new words or turns of phrase and all of that. Thinking of it like that, I guess it would be more useful to listen to vocal music while revising, not editing. They are not the same thing.

Some people can't do either though. They need this incredible complete silence or they can't focus.

That does make me wonder... why do people think talking while someone is writing is good? Every writer I've talked to gets furious whenever someone is trying to hold a conversation. I agree with them there, it's infuriating. One or the other guys. Pick one.

No comments:

Post a Comment